QuickBooks 2014 Speeds Up and Refines Your Workflow
QuickBooks 2014 combines small, but effective changes to make it faster and easier to do what ya’ gotta do. Rather than pile on tons of new features in its upgrade, Intuit concentrates on making it easier for you to access the tools and data already there.
New Improvements in QuickBooks 2014
The new Income Tracker and invoices that will display in the body of your email are two substantial improvements in QuickBooks 2014.
The Income Tracker
When you upgrade to QuickBooks 2014, head first to the new Income Tracker (Customers | Income Tracker). While QuickBooks offers other numerous reports and tools for charting your incoming revenue, this new feature is the best we’ve seen in QuickBooks software.
If your company sends out Invoices regularly, this new QuickBooks 2014 screen will give you a birds-eye view of your receivables not accessible anywhere else in the program. Click on any bar at the top of your screen – Estimates, Open Invoices, Overdue and Paid Last 30 Days – to change the data that appears below. Within each bar is the number of related transactions and their dollar amount total.
Use the drop-down lists directly below the navigational bars to set filters that define a subset of transactions. These include CUSTOMER: JOB, TYPE, STATUS and DATE.
The last column in the table is labeled ACTION. Once you’ve earmarked a transaction by checking the box in front of each name, you can select the action you want to take. If OPEN INVOICES is active, for example, you can receive payments, print, or email these transactions. When applicable, open the drop-down menu in the lower-left of your screen and batch-produce invoices, sales receipts, and credit memos/refunds.
New Email Merge in QuickBooks 2014
Ever wonder how many of your customers actually open their emailed invoices in a timely fashion? QuickBooks 2014 offers a new tool that displays transaction numbers, transaction totals, and due-dates within the body of the email itself.
Even though you can’t modify a default template in Intuit, you can add alternate templates with custom wording and details.
To create an alternate email template:
- Open the Edit menu and select Preferences.
- Click on Send Forms tab, then Company Preferences.
- Open the drop-down list to select the type of form you want to view or modify (Estimate, Invoice, Statement, etc.).
- Click the Add Template button to view the default wording for that template.
- Save As your template with a new name.
- Click the Default box if you want this new template to become the default (you’ll be replacing the original Intuit template).
- Open the Insert Field drop-down menu to select desired fields to enter into the email form.
- Note: when form is emailed, QuickBooks 2014 will replace the text and numbers in brackets with the correct details for each recipient, similar to mail-merge.
- Be sure to test your results to see what it looks like, and modify as needed.
Other Improvements in QuickBooks 2014
Intuit has continued to add many small, but useful features into QuickBooks 2014. Each is designed to help you work faster and smarter, and supports more convenient operations. The Ribbon toolbar on transactions, for example, now include a tab or menu to you open related reports.
- QuickBooks 2014 color scheme has been updated.
- The program runs faster.
- Lines can now be copied and pasted within forms.
- Online banking (now called “Bank Feeds”) has been retooled, making it more accessible and understandable.
The decision to upgrade isn’t easy, whether it be QuickBooks 2014 or an earlier version. We encourage you to contact us with specific questions. We typically encourage clients who don’t want to upgrade every year, to consider every other year. This takes advantage of newer features, but keeps the learning curve manageable.
Ready, Aim, FIRE!
Is 2014 QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise best for YOUR business? Whether you simply have questions, would like a quote of our amazingly discounted Intuit Re-seller rates, or are ready to place an order, don’t delay!
Added functionality and usability that improves workflow and understanding of your finances may be worth more than the cost of the software you purchase.
Just give us a call: 9-5 Eastern at 734.544-7620 [toll-free 866.244.2228] and we’ll be pleased to assist you.
Check it Out!
Dynamite YOUR current QuickBooks dilemma with our Accounting Lessons, Products, and Software.